Wednesday, June 22, 2016

I'm Going to Quit Trying to Become a Better Parent

Before I had a child, I read a study on the factors that cause children to grow up loving to read.  As an English teacher, I totally geek out on studies like this.  The study showed children become readers not based on how many books they have available to them, or even based on how often their parents read to them.  The most important factor that can help determine a child becoming a reader is having parents who are readers.  Children imitate. We are all imitators, really, hardwired to watch others and mimic them.

So when I dream about the kind of life I want to build for my son, I know that its not just the experiences I provide for him, the developmental toys I buy for him, or the school I send him to that will equal success, but it’s the life I live while raising him.  To invite my son into a great story, I must live a great story myself.  To bring him into a passionate life with Jesus, I must live a passionate life with Jesus.  It’s not so much about doing all of the right things for my son, but about living in a manner I would be proud for him to imitate.

I’ve been mulling on this idea and this morning, as I nursed my little man to sleep for his nap, I read Glennon Doyle Melton’s “Carry on Warrior.” This passage jumped out at me:

“Usually when someone asks me a question about parenting, I switch it into a question about grown-ups. How do I encourage my child to be kinder to others? Becomes, How do I become kinder to others? After reading the sixteenth parenting book that contradicted the first fifteen, I quit trying to become a better parent and decided to try becoming a better person.”  

Yes—a concrete example of raising children with mimetic desire on our side! (That’s for my husband; mimetic desire is his favorite philosophical subject. He must think I'm so hot right now, writing about mimesis and all.)  I have already thrown the old mantra “Do as I say, not as I do” out the window, but this idea of parenting mimetically takes it to a whole new level. 

Instead of hoping that I buy my son enough books for him to love reading, I’m just going to read.  Instead of teaching him to share, I’m just going to share.  It’s a lot simpler, although it’s a little harder. Of course, every good story has conflict and every good character has flaws.  The point is not that we have to do everything perfectly for our children to turn out okay. (Can I get a hallelujah?!) I just have to get really good at handling the conflict and character flaws in my story.

Over the years, my son will watch everything I do: every comment I make, every sideways glance I give, every way in which I judge others and pretend like I can decide whether they are in or out. He will see my impatience.  He will see my anger.  He will see my mistakes.  So, he will also see me ask for forgiveness.  He will see me say, “I’m sorry”—a lot, probably.  But I hope that he also sees the overall theme of our story is that LOVE WINS and EVERYBODY’S IN.  You are in.  I am in.  By grace, we are all beloveds and no one is excluded. That is a great story.  And it begins with me. 

I am not the Author of the story I am inviting my son into, but for a few years I am one of the main characters, and the Author kind of lets me borrow the pen.  I get to decide the kind of character I will be and how I shape the story for my son.  I get to decide to teach him kindness by being kind.  I get to teach him bravery by being brave.  I get to teach him about great Love by showing great Love.  I get to teach him how to be the change he wants to see in the world, by being that change first.  And I’m really excited that I get to teach him to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment