Thursday, October 15, 2015

Devotionals - Are you devoted to "doing" or to being with God.

Last Sunday at Jesus Culture Sacramento, Cody Williams spoke about being less focused on doing  and more focused on Jesus who will do the "doing" through you. It was a great message about putting relationship with Jesus first. After all, everything good flows out of that!

I've recently had a revelation along similar lines about how I approach "devotionals."

I've been turned off by the "doing" and religious nature of devotionals for a while now. When I hear the word "devotional" I immediately connect it to religious obligation. The word is loaded with expectations and visions of reading the Bible, reading a snippet from "Our Daily Bread," glancing through Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest (usually while, ummm, resting), or getting on my knees for a certain amount of time to petition God for a laundry list of request.

While I've known this approach wasn't working for me, I couldn't justify my experience with the need to spend time with God daily. If spending time with God each day didn't look like a devotional, what did it looked like? Did it mean spending more time praying? That sounded closer to the answer, but that still seemed to return me to a focus on some sort of "doing" again.

The encouraging conclusion I came to was that I just need to make space for my relationship with God. Once I starting making space for God, without specific expectations about the form, then I allowed myself to encounter God however he wanted to show up.

I had to learn, and am still learning, how to stop constantly talking or doing in order to just rest in God's presence. When I make space for God, one day I find myself resting in and meditating on his goodness. Another day, I'm praying for a friend. The next day, I'm journaling or writing a poem. The key I think is to

... just

...make

...the

...space.

1 comment:

  1. I have always told students and others when I am preaching: "Do I think you should read your Bible every single day? Not necessarily. Do I think you should journal and read devotional material all the time? Not necessarily. Do I think you should connect with the heart of Jesus every day? Aaaaaabsolutely. And these things can serve you well in doing so, but they are not the focus."

    ReplyDelete